Monday, September 9, 2013

Invisible Illness Awareness

September 9th-15th is considered Invisible Illness Awareness week. It's pretty important to me, as I suffer from quite a few invisible illnesses myself. Invisible Illnesses are hard to deal with because often times you don't look sick. If I had a penny for every time I heard "you don't look sick", I'd be richer than Oprah. I like smiling, smiling is my favorite, because of that it's hard to tell when I'm in pain, even though I'm in pain 24/7. My body fights against me constantly, on the inside, which is why it's hard to tell on the outside. The comments from people thinking I'm just lazy instead of sick hurt. I'm not trying to get disability because I'm too lazy to work, I'm trying because I'm unable to work. Because it takes everything my parents have to cover my medical expenses. Because I have bills as an adult that need paid. Because the 23 medicines I take daily cost money. Because my immune system is so low the slightest infection can turn serious in minutes, meaning I shouldn't be around too many people. It may be invisible to the eye, but look inside my body & it tells a whole different story. This video was made by a girl with an invisible illness and I think it speaks volumes. Kudos to Kelly!

When you see someone parking in a handicap spot who seems to walk fine, don't judge them. They have a handicap sign for a reason, because they are sick. Maybe they pass out at random times. Maybe their arthritis is extremely bad. You don't know the struggles other people face, and what their bodies do, so just remember that. Invisible Illnesses are just as serious as visible ones, so this week, reach out to someone with an invisible illness. Let them know you are there for them. Offer to do something for them. Give them a hug. Be a listening ear. It doesn't matter what you do, I promise they will appreciate it. Happy Invisible Illness Awareness Week!


No comments:

Post a Comment